The British Council in the USA was pleased to partner with St. Ann's Warehouse to bring The Jungle to the United States.
Following universal critical acclaim and a sold-out run at the Young Vic, The Jungle transferred to the West End this summer. The British Council in the USA brought The Jungle to the United States from Dec 2018-Jan 2019, in partnership with St. Ann's Warehouse.
About the show
This is the place where people suffered and dreamed. Meet the hopeful, resilient residents of The Jungle – just across the English Channel from the UK. The Jungle tells stories of loss, fear, community, and hope, of the Calais camp’s creation - and of its eventual destruction. Join the residents over freshly baked naan and sweet milky chai at the Afghan Café, and experience the intense, moving and uplifting encounters between refugees and volunteers from many different countries.
The Jungle was performed at St. Ann's Warehouse in Brooklyn, NY from 4 December 2018 - 27 January 2019. Following the 16 January performance of The Jungle in New York, the British Council in the USA organized a post-show discussion featuring David Miliband (CEO, International Rescue Committee), playwrights Joe Murphy and Joe Robertson, and Kirsty Lang (British Council trustee).
Following the NY run, The Jungle will be performed at The Curran Theatre in San Francisco from March 26-May 19, 2019. Click here for details.
Trust Me, I'm an Immigrant
The British Council in the USA commissioned a series of essays, entitled Trust Me, I'm an Immigrant, which encapsulate the issues discussed in The Jungle. Please see below for a PDF version of the essays.
Reviews and feature articles
- The Washington Post: See 'The Jungle' and you won't be able to get the plight of refugees out of your head
- The Hollywood Reporter: 'The Jungle' Theater Review
- The New York Times: Critic's Pick - 'The Jungle' Review: Migrants' Heartbreaking Search for Home in Calais
- The New York Times: How 3 actors overcame Trump's travel ban to take the New York stage
- BBC: The Jungle: Bringing the stories of the Calais camp to the UK
- Vanity Fair: The Jungle: A Reminder that Everyone Deserves a Good Chance
- The New York Times: The Journey From the Calais Jungle to the London Stage
- Videos: Exploring the Calais 'Jungle'; Interview with playwrights Joe Murphy and Joe Robertson